Action movies are the stuff of legend. For some, they seem like petulant little films made without a real narrative. But for aficionados, action movies have everything in them — action (of course), adventure, sensuality, explosions, fast cars, and battle sequences. The list could go on.
1 thing that is somewhat interesting about action film fans is how true fans attempt to understand as many details as they can about their favorite movies in so much as to almost become walking encyclopedias of knowledge & points of reference fit for your regional restaurant’s trivia night. But much the same way that life works, you can’t know everything, and this is where this particular collection of facts shows its worth!
1. Silence of the Lambs – Many people today tend to criticize big Hollywood action movies by imagining they have nothing to offer in actual worth when it comes to an actual story worth checking out. Even though some might find this movie more suspenseful, it does keep you on the edge of your chair.
2. The Fast and the Furious – Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster, did not have drivers licenses or even permits before creation of the film. While this might seem somewhat odd, many actors and actresses concentrate their attention on their craft from a young age, sometimes bypassing milestones like this.
3. Jaws – Nearly a fourth of the film was filmed from the surface of the water level. This special perspective is key to the movie’s terror as audiences could feel as if they were treading water or the least to be near”Bruce”, the title given to the mechanical shark used during filming. The fact that only about 25 percent of the movie was taken this way is amazing when you consider that most of the more memorable sequences of the movie are all based in the water.
4. Gone with the Wind – Though often seen as a historical drama or even (oddly enough) as a romantic film,’Gone’ is celebrated for its gigantic undertaking & sweeping look at a bygone age over the course of several generations. While the film tends to get beautiful vision of farm life, it’s the ferocious action sequences & suspenseful scenes that take your breath away. This movie was the first color film to win an Oscar for Best Picture.
5. X-Men – Though they give off an air of elegance and class, actors Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan had actually never played a game of chess in their own lives. While not the most gritty action movie tidbit, it is important to mention simply because far too many film patrons are unwilling to suspend all disbelief. It is all about the details.